The Director-General of National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Brig Gen Olakunle Nafiu, has disclosed that corps members who recently completed the national service would be paid the arrears of the N77,000 allowance.
Nafiu made this known during the Batch A 2025 pre-mobilisation workshop for heads of corps producing institutions and other stakeholders on Thursday in Abuja.
Recall that the Federal Government commenced payment of the N77,000 allowance to corps members last month, about eight months after President Bola Tinubu signed the minimum wage bill into law.
While fielding questions from newsmen during the event, the DG said: “The government is quite conscious of its promise and within the budgetary provision, the government is going to handle that.
Explore latest Scholarships here (Local and International Fully Funded)
“Once funds are released to us to offset the arrears, we will pay them. Even our corps members that passed out recently will benefit. Once we receive cash backing for the arrears, we are going to credit them; we have their bank details.
“Nigerians should not fret about that because the government is both responsible and responsive their their needs.”
The Director, Corps Mobilisation, Mohammed Abubakar, lamented that the scheme still faces serious issues, particularly the fraudulent uploading of unqualified graduates by tertiary institutions.
Explore latest Scholarships here (Local and International Fully Funded)
He said: “We have made remarkable progress in recent years, greatly reducing challenges, thanks to innovative approaches and better collaboration. However, we still face serious issues, particularly concerning the fraudulent uploading of unqualified graduates, which we must address.
Don't Miss Scholarships, Post UTME, JAMB and Admissions Updates. Receive news as they break.